Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Preschool at Home: Fall Fun

This week the kids and I took a little break from our Before Five in a Row curriculum and did a Fall-themed unit. With the help of this wonderful Fall Fun Printable Pack from Homeschool Creations and the GORGEOUS Fall weather and colors in Cental Iowa this week, this proved to be a fun and meaningful week together.

Rather than working with one book in great detail, I just found several fall-themed books we happened to have on our shelves to read and enjoy throughout the week:

 My Happy Pumpkin by Crystal Bowman
From Seed to Pumpkin by Wendy Pfeffer


We took another trip to the apple orchard that we visited with our playgroup friends during our "Ask Mr. Bear" unit. We had a great time once again and Lucy and Collin both enjoyed picking out some pumpkins and gourds to take home.


We used Q-tips and "fall"-colored paints to create these tree pictures. (An idea from this website which I discovered on Pinterest)




We did a lot of early/pre-math activities with all the wonderful Homeschool Creation Printables I mentioned above.  These activities really held their attention this week.  It was particularly fun to see the concept of sorting by size as well as pattern recognition begin to "click" for them.





Towards the end of this week, I also spent some time thinking through and rearranging the layout of our little "school room" (which seems to always be a work in progress.)   I ended up removing/relocating our wicker loveseat and papasan chair frames, and kept the papasan cushion to create a cozy little nook.  We're going to try to sit here together for our read-aloud times and memory verse practice.


They seem to like this new spot and I'm pleased with how much more space and "wiggle room" we have to work with now. In case you are interested- the little "posters" on the wall there behind the kids were free prints that came from another one of my favorite online learning resources, Mr. Printables.


I loved bonding and learning with my little ones while we enjoyed the beauty of Fall.  I can't help but think that all the time we spent admiring and enjoying the beauty of God's creation made a difference- it was a much more relaxed and peaceful learning time than our last couple of weeks and I was sorry to see it come to an end.  But so grateful.

Thanks for reading!

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment